Laboratory services at Northern Nevada Health System cover a variety of tests and provide the necessary information to properly diagnose and treat our patients.
Types of Diagnostic Laboratory Services
- Blood bank
- Immunology and serology
- Special chemistry
Types of Essential Lab Screenings
Clinical laboratory services vary from location to location, but common health screenings from NNHS include:
- Chemistry Panel (Comprehensive metabolic panel which includes 15 different tests such as potassium, glucose, liver and kidney)
- Lipid Panel (Cholesterol, HDL/LDL ratio and triglycerides test to evaluate hormone level)
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (Regulates thyroid function)
- Free T4 (Tests for thyroid function)
- Complete blood count with Auto Diff (Check for anemia, infection and many other diseases)
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA, test for prostate cancer)
- ABO/RH Blood type (Identifies blood type)
- Hemoglobin A1C (Glycosylated hemoglobin. Tests to monitor the glucose control over time)
- Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy (Tests for Vitamin D deficiency)
- High sensitivity C-reactive protein (HSCRP, determines if you are at risk for heart and vascular disease)
- Carotid Ultrasound (Screens for plaque/blockages in the carotid arteries)
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm/Ultrasound (ABD Aorta, AAA, Ultrasound study to identify Aortic Aneurysm)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG, Identifies arrhythmias)
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI, Study to identify arterial blockage in the legs)
Types of Blood Screening Tests
Common blood tests used in a hospital include:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) – This basic test measures hemoglobin, hematocrit, white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets in the blood.
- Chem Panel – Different diagnostic tests that are part of a chem panel determine the level of naturally occurring chemicals in your body. High results can be a sign of diabetes or other conditions.
How Do Labs Help?
Apart from the usual services provided by labs, laboratory services can provide an insight into behind-the-scenes patient work, such as diagnosing a patient when they are unconscious. Labs can be on-site blood banks, with blood ready to go in case of any emergency or even give patients a look at whether a specific treatment is working. Laboratory services are an essential part of successfully diagnosing and treating patients.
Staff members who are part of the laboratory center work right alongside doctors and nurses to help make sure that you are receiving the right care for your needs.
Lab test results can help diagnose whatever injury or illness you may have, allowing doctors and nurses to take better care of you and make sure you receive the right treatment. By working together with the lab team, doctors and nurses (and you) receive a better overall picture of how best to serve your unique needs.
Northern Nevada Medical Center
Northern Nevada Sierra Medical Center
ER at McCarran NW
If you need a referral to a physician at Northern Nevada Health System, call our free physician referral service at 775-356-6662.