Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Northern Nevada Health System provides a 12-bed, Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Northern Nevada Sierra Medical Center. This unit provides care for babies born at 32 weeks gestation or later who require specialized medical attention.
The NICU has advanced medical technology and other accommodations including:
- Cardiac monitors for every patient
- IV and umbilical catheters for medication administration and blood pressure monitoring/lab tests
- Phototherapy for jaundice management
- Respiratory equipment including high-flow nasal cannula, bubble CPAP and ventilators
- Breast pumps at each bedside
- Privacy curtains and ample space for each patient and their family
- Four private rooms with noise control and isolation for our most sensitive patients
- Overnight accommodations for parents prior to discharge
- Specialized equipment (Giraffe Omnibed Carestation™) that serves as both an incubator and radiant warmer for infants
- Designated NICU waiting area for parents and visitors
- Breastfeeding support and developmental care for babies
- A NicView™ camera at each bed for live streaming of infants that enable parents to stay connected in real time, 24/7
If you need a referral to a physician at Northern Nevada Health System, call our free physician referral service at 775-356-6662.