If you are active in sports or other athletic programs, you have probably suffered an injury at some point. Receiving the right care is vital to your recovery. Northern Nevada Health System has sports medicine specialists and physical therapists who serve patients of all ages who participate in athletic activities or play on sports teams. We offer services that support our patients, including referrals to physical therapy and collaborative care with local orthopedic surgeons.
Our specialists provide basic management of the following conditions and common sports injuries:
- Fractures and stress fractures
- Ligament sprains
- Muscular strains
- Concussions (including NOT returning to play the day of injury)
- Common cartilage injuries, such as labral and meniscal tears
- Dislocations such as nursemaid’s elbow
- Tennis elbow
- Knee injuries
- Neurologic conditions such as nerve entrapment syndromes and brachial plexopathies
- Synovial cysts such as Baker cyst and ganglion cysts
- Osteochondrosis/aseptic necrosis
- Osteoarthritis/crystal-induced arthritis (e.g., gout, pseudo gout)
- Metabolic bone disease (osteoporosis, Paget disease)
- Acute and chronic low back pain
- Foot conditions
- Rheumatologic disorders
Sports Physical Therapy
These services are for athletes who have experienced traumatic or cumulative trauma injuries during sports activities. The goal of this program is to treat injuries and return athletes to active participation as quickly and successfully as possible. We can help improve range of motion and relieve pain. Services include functional movement screening, Y-balance testing, identifying restrictions or asymmetries that can lead to injury, and video gait analysis.
We perform many common procedures for major and minor injuries:
- Joint aspiration (arthrocentesis)
- Joint injection (ultrasound guided)
- Common injections for bursitis and tendinopathy
- Common tendon sheath injections
- Splints (upper and lower extremity)
- Dislocation reduction
Orthopedic Emergency Recognition and Stabilization, Including Trauma Assessment
We can assess an injury or condition, stabilize it, and make recommendations for more advanced treatment.
- Acute compartment syndrome
- Hip or knee dislocation
- Unstable pelvis fracture
- Cervical spine fracture
- Spinal cord injury
- Cauda equina syndrome
- Neurovascular compromise
Our sports medicine physician and team of therapists have the experience and expertise to get you back doing what you love. We not only treat patients for injuries but also provide recommendations for how to prevent future injuries. They are here to help you achieve your highest level of function.
Outpatient Therapy Center – Reno
Outpatient Therapy Center – Sparks
If you need a referral to a physician at Northern Nevada Health System, call our free physician referral service at 775-356-6662.